Until August, be careful not to be a plot spoiler. Once it's mid-August, we can let it fly -- everybody should have read it by then. But for the next six weeks, let's allow people discover the story on their own.
But we can easily discuss ideas. Karly pointed out the castes systems in BNW and in Divergent...so here's how we could talk about that: do we have a caste system in our society?
ALSO, here's a TRIGGER WARNING: if you are a student who listens to audio books, I just want to warn you that my students last year found the audio of Brave New World to be VERY CREEPY. It's a creepy book, though. It is disturbing.
However: one of the roles of art is to "comfort the disturbed, and to disturb the comfortable." (I don't know who said that first -- there seems to be some disagreement about that -- but I learned it from both David Foster Wallace and Banksy.) So be disturbed. Be uncomfortable. An education is not meant to be a smooth and happy ride through Pleasantville.
AFletcher
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.