First of all, please note that in the subject line of the posts I write, I start with my initials (AF stands for Alexandra Fletcher, and nothing else). YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS WHEN YOU WRITE. In fact, if you do, it will be confusing, so please don't.
The reason I do it so that you can scan through a long list of posts to find mine quickly. It seems like a ghost town right now, but just wait. This digital space will get busy during summer.
I was asked by one of your peers to speak a little bit about how to write an email. This surprised me, but it makes perfect sense. You kids don't use email much, but going forward, you will.
We are not corporate, so there's no reason to go crazy. Basic courtesy and good grammar will do the job.
So, it's best to start out as you would a business letter:
Dear Ms. Fletcher:
Skip a line, and then it's best to get right to the point. Write a line of introduction, and request access to the blog, like this: My name is Rogelio Finkbeiner, and I am writing for blog access for the AP English 11 summer homework. Then say thanks, and maybe something polite, like this: I hope you have a good summer. Then skip a line, say thanks, and sign off, like this.
See you on the blog! Thanks for your time,
Rogelio Finkbeiner
You can consult our ubiquitous Digital Oracle (the Google search box) and use the search phrase "How to write a professional email" and you'll find all kinds of help and advice.
My neighbor George (his name really is George; I swear I'm not making him up) is a partner in his own accounting business. He hired a sharp young man who knew accounting and knew the tax laws; he fired that same young man because his emails made the clients angry. It was his tone (abrupt, rude), and his weak command of the basics of composition (organization, clarity, cohesion). So you can be really smart and know your profession, but if you can't handle the English language, you can easily ruin your credibility with both your clients and your bosses, and lose your job.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.