Friday, June 30, 2017

AF: Hot tip on fixing errors in your comments

As those of you who have written posts have probably realized, you can easily edit a post even after it is published, so when a pesky error pops up in your posts, there is no reason to let it just sit there, like a June bug on top of your birthday cake.

But what if you make a mistake in the comment box?  I am your English teacher, so of course I don't want errors in my posts and comments; and you are (potentially) AP English students, and you don't want errors in your posts and comments either.  

However when I am writing, especially in those little comment boxes, I sometimes make mistakes that I don't notice them until I've published it.  What to do?

I just commented on Max's post, and here is a bit of what I wrote:

 ...if you think of them as "OR" or "VERSUS;" we can think of them together as AND.) In other words, can you be more wise in the way we use the internet and our devices.

So you see, I switched from "we" (second person plural) to "you" (first person plural) right in the middle of the sentence.  These kinds of errors make meaning unclear about who is doing what!  But I had already published; I didn't really notice until too late.

So here's how I fixed the error to, "In other words, can we be more wise in the way we use..."

I COPIED the entire comment.  I DELETED the comment.  I OPENED a new comment box, and PASTED the comment back in, and then I CORRECTED the error before I PUBLISHED a second time.

See?  There is no reason to let an error mar your posts and comments.


AFletcher

3 comments:

  1. Repeatedly I've made errors in typing up comments. Recently I've noticed that when I italicize the titles of books, the titles post in the same font as the rest of my text. I've tried deleting the comments with mistakes and correcting them in the text boxes given. I've also tried copying and pasting my correctly formatted titles from Google Docs. Neither of these methods worked. Do you know of any other ways to fix this mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't format text in the comment box.

    As I explained above, Aijah, once you've published a comment, you can't correct it. When I post a comment and then notice a mistake, I copy the comment, delete it, open a new text box, paste the old comment, make my correction, and repost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, it's a miracle that I noticed your comment.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.