Friday, January 12, 2018

Road to Character (Subject)

The book that I picked to read was The Road to Character by David Brooks.  This book is mainly about how to improve one's character.  Brooks sets up the book by discussing Adam I and Adam II which are described as the two different sides of all us: the hard working side that actually takes action and the side that wants to work hard and wants to things to become successful, but does not fully commit.  The focus of the book is how to overcome Adam II and make Adam I the dominant force within so we actually take action when we want to make a change or a positive difference.  Brooks uses eight different well known successful people of the world as examples of the eight different things characteristics create good character: being self summoned, self-conquest, struggle, self-mastery, dignity, love, ordered love, and self examination.  Through these people, he showed how each specific characteristic helped these people become successful in their lives.  Brooks developed these ideas by comparing a person from the beginning to the end.  As each person learned to develop the characteristic, they became better people, who were goal driven, and ended up being successful.  He starts off the chapter by showing the flaws of the character, to show things they needed to work on in order to achieve the specific characteristic.  when describing the characters journey, he does not sugarcoat anything.  He talks about the struggles and mistakes they made and the failure that they went through.  Brooks admits many times throughout the book, that developing ones character is not easy; it takes perseverance and self control, which, in my opinion, are two very difficult things to master.  By mentioning the common themes of perseverance and self control, Brooks is able to emphasize how important it is to be patient with yourself and keep trying when working on each the different characteristics.  By finishing up with their successes, Brooks shows how all the hard word, blood, sweat, and tears are all worth it in the end.  He doesn't make it seem like a hopeless cause or fight.  He successfully encourages readers that one can achieve good character by developing all these characteristics through perseverance and self control. 

2 comments:

  1. This book seems very interesting in the way you summarized it, and what definitely caught my attention was how the author uses “Adam I” and “Adam II” to display the two different sides of people. I found myself relating to this because I see the second version of myself frequently, like when I see things I want to do but do not actually put forth effort to make them happen. I’m curious to read the book and find out how Brooks explains what is needed in order to make “Adam I” the dominant force and if his strategies will actually work or make a positive difference. I also agree that self-control is a major factor that is essential to seeing change happen and takes a lot of devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems very interesting on improving your character. It really does take time if you want to become a better person to those around you. What’s really struck my attention is that struggle brings out a better character within the future and I can agree with that. My dad struggled throughout his childhood, not having sufficient money to have very nice things, but that didn’t stop him to strive on becoming someone successful and kindhearted. He always says that struggling helps appreciate the things in life that are precious to you and be kind to everyone, even if they’re not kind to you. So yes I agree that struggling and being self driven does lead to becoming a better person and being successful in life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.