Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Road to Character (subject)

In David Brooks’ The Road to Character, the idea that two basic forms of character are constantly at sway is introduced, these occurring within the modern human as either a force of positivity and virtue, or of dangerously competitive self-benefit. The two types of character are referred to as their own entities in a figurative sense, going by the names Adam I and Adam II. Brooks alludes modern society's vacuous chase of happiness to the belief that being materialistically successful− an Adam I attribute− will bring satisfaction, yet he believes true satisfaction of is only available through the more difficult-to-reach values of Adam II.
            The Road to Character is heavily reliant upon the differences between Adam I and Adam II character types. The characteristics of Adam I and Adam II are not based solely upon actions, but primarily the desires and motivation for which an action is completed. Adam I can be observed as focused on business minded, material success, whereas Adam II seeks internalized growth and satisfaction. One way the actions of the opposing characters can be assessed is that Adam I will assist someone in need if it benefits their own personal gain, while Adam II will assist those in need due to the belief that it is just the right thing to do. Adam I cannot exist without Adam II, but the pursuit of happiness in which Adam I is often found is fruitless, joy only attainable by the soft moral diligence of Adam II.
            Using these figments to help portray the composition of human nature, Brooks delved deep into the lives of multiple people, one happening to be a woman named Day. She changed her life to become a nun, and the moral work began joyously for her, yet the glamour faded as she hid her own redemption within assisting others, making it a tireless, daunting task. This reflects the disruption between Adam I and Adam II− the conflict that occurs within each individual’s character at different levels of severity as Adam I attempts to strangle out the Adam II in hopes of gaining satisfaction.
            Through  Brooks' own self-assessment and peeking into the lives of figures that portrayed dominant Adam I or II traits, the subject of The Road to Character boils down to Brooks words in the introduction, "Adam I aims for happiness, but Adam II knows that happiness is insufficient. The ultimate joys are moral joys."


-Hannah Rockwood

1 comment:

  1. The concept of Adam I and Adam II is quite interesting. One has a similar belief as others who think that materials will make them happy while in reality, the other (Adam II) is actually what people truly desire by simply being satisfied with their life. I also believe that Adam I cannot live without Adam II because Adam II has the satisfaction that Adam I truly desires. Without Adam II, Adam I will lose his purpose in life as his achievements would be for nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.