The Road to Character by David Brooks is a book designed to show the path to constructing a character focused on the eulogy virtues, the more noble characteristics such as humility and humbleness. Brooks urges his reader to overcome the “résumé virtues,” self-loving features such as pride and ambition. Using what he calls Adam I and Adam II, he describes the internal struggle between the two Adam halves in character and the hope everyone has to become Adam II, one that encompasses the eulogy virtues. Despite him using other examples of people rather than giving direct advice, The Road to Character falls in the category of a self-help book. This is due to the reality that molding character is arduous and difficult and confusing. Attempting to shape a character requires advice or examples, which Brooks’s book provides. Further evidence of the book’s classification as self-help can be seen in Brooks’s intro in which he says "I wrote it, to be honest, to save my own soul." Brooks wrote it to help himself as well as his readers on their own paths to becoming Adam II.
The problem The Road to Character seeks to address is the prevalence of the résumé self in society today and the absence of the eulogy self. Brooks believes that the old moral ecology, one dominated by love for others, humility and knowledge of limitations, and humbleness, has disappeared in the wake of the ambition-driven and self-loving attitude of society today. He argues that people today have lost their happiness and purpose due to their acceptance of their résumé self as they cave into the cycle of false happiness and materialism. Brooks writes his book not to merely address the issue of self-love common in Adam I, but he writes in order to persuade people to change their character. Brooks chooses specific people throughout history that has themselves pave their road to character. Each paved it a different way: one through humility, one through self-acceptance, and one through humbleness. The point being that everyone breaks out their Adam I shell in different ways, yet each road to character led to the growth of Adam II.
--- Nicole Burgos
I understand now that David Brooks wrote his book to not only aid himself, but to influence his readers to change their own lives as he is attempting to do now. I like how you point out that Brooks underlines how people have accepted false happiness and materialism because I can see how that would be a prevailing factor that keeps people from reaching their Adam 2.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Brooks's arguments. It is human nature for people to put great amounts of focus on themselves, and oftentimes this prevents them from becoming their Adam II selves. Character is easy to change for the worse and hard to change for the better. Brooks's purpose for writing this book is clear as this is helpful for people who seek to change their own character.
ReplyDeleteI often can envision different, idealized versions of myself! I don't think this is an uncommon thing to do, especially at an age where everyone is comparing themselves to everyone else. Although this might seem like it could be hurtful to my self image, I agree with the idea that picturing a better version of yourself can inspire you to actually become that better version. Goals are good!
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Brooks' claims because I feel that it is prevalent in today's society where most individuals are still out to seek their Adam II, but they still have to break out of their Adam I shell. In his claim when he says that people have lost their happiness and have carried themselves into a cycle of false happiness, I also feel that this is too good to be true. Many people have accepted themselves into a false state of happiness where they either carry on with their lives and pretend to be happy, or they have to lie to themselves that they are happy. All in all, I agree with Brooks' arguments. It is a given fact that society has had an absence of humility, knowledge of limitations, and humbleness in oneself. This book would be a great nonfiction book to seek for self-help because I can tell that he gives advice throughout it in addition to include several other significant individuals who have taken this route and have found themselves in the light.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with his philosophy almost completely. There is little joy in attempting to fulfill vain desires that feed into a person's ego as the desire to achieve more will continue to grow. No one is bettered by pride. Brooks' ideas of self-sacrifice and service to others as a means of happiness could be applied at nearly any point in history. When attempting to help others, there is a clear and achievable goal that benefits a specific person or group which in turn betters the character of the person that has volunteered themselves. Living altruistically halts any desire for fame, money, or power. These things are usually difficult to obtain while aiding someone in need is ridiculously simple.
ReplyDelete