Sunday, July 2, 2017

AF: Brain Drain: The Mere Presence of One’s Own Smartphone Reduces Available Cognitive Capacity: Journal of the Association for Consumer Research: Vol 2, No 2

Brain Drain: The Mere Presence of One’s Own Smartphone Reduces Available Cognitive Capacity: Journal of the Association for Consumer Research: Vol 2, No 2

--AFletcher
(sent to me by RElasmar, MHS c/o 2013)

2 comments:

  1. This article is quite interesting, and I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with it's argument. Doing homework with a phone in the room can add hours to homework time because our focus shifts between our phones and our homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I genuinely agree with this discussion. Honestly, it is extremely hard for me not to check my phone while doing homework. Like Naomi said, it can make homework time last the whole day. Thinking this through more thoroughly, I realize that I am more tempted to go to my phone because I need something more interesting to occupy my thoughts. Peculiar as it may seem, I mostly go on my phone to read books or stories online; I can't help it. I realized that it is not just because I have a short attention span, but because I need something I am truly interested in; doing otherwise would make me feel dull and as if I could be learning more interesting things in my independent readings. I think this true because, while doing homework that I actually find engaging, I do not lean towards my phone. On the contrary, doing homework I feel could be spent on more important matters, that's when I lose focus.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.