Monday, July 31, 2017

Can You Feel it Now?

     In the beginning of Nicholas Carr's book, The Shallows, it talks about a supercomputer named HAL. In the scene I'm referring to, HAL is being shut off by its operator, Dave. While this is happening, HAL exclaims, "Dave, my mind is going, I can feel it. I can feel it." I had to read this part of the book a few times because I was quite confused to read that a computer had feelings. Right after, the author explains that he can relate to HAL, claiming that he felt someone was "reprogramming the memory" to his brain.
     This also confused me to a degree because I didn't understand how a human could relate to a machine. But as I thought more and more about it, I came up with an idea. Maybe Carr was using this to comment on the relationship between technology and humans. As technology has advanced, human dependency on it has increased. I believe the point Carr is trying to make is that humans are getting to the point where they depend so much on technology that it is actually altering the way they think. From my observations in our world, it seems that wherever a human is, some form of technology is attached to them. Have you ever felt too dependent on technology?

-- Ayah League--

     

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for clarifying the beginning of the book. I was confused and wanted to see if anyone had anything else to say about it and your explanation helped me. As for your question, I have most definitely been dependent of technology. I am currently being dependent on it since I need to be for this assignment and I don't know what I would do if I didn't have a computer in reach. in the first chapter he makes it seem like the creation of technology has altered our brains in a negative way. However, I don't believe it is as bad as i seems considering I am using technology for the benefit currently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will the author of this post please go back and sign their name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt dependent on technology because it is how I communicate and speak to everyone. Once I was without a phone for a week and i didn't know what to do with myself I felt so alone and bored. I had no one to speak to it was plain awful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.