Hey kids, I'm hitting the road! Leading up to my trip, I will work on the blog and answer your emails up until about noon, Thursday, August 3, and I'll be back on Thursday, August 9.
I will be offline for a week. I challenge anyone who wants to try it: take a 48-hour technology fast >> no cell phone, no television, no ipod, no video game, no electronic media whatsoever for 48 hours. (Read about it in Andrew Postman's introduction to Amusing Ourselves to Death.) Do you think you can do it?? It's easier when you're out camping, but how about from your own bedroom?

I would not be able to go without technology for 48 hours. As I was hiking today I lost phone service, yet I found myself reaching for my phone very often. Even though I could not message anyone, I still used my phone to take pictures. As soon as I got service again, I checked all my social media and messages. I'm constantly using one form of technology or another. Sometimes I even use multiple forms at once. However, by realizing how technology affects me and by using it less over time, I might one day be able to go without technology for 48 hours or possibly longer.
ReplyDeleteI would not be able to go without technology for 48 hours. As I was hiking today I lost phone service, yet I found myself reaching for my phone very often. Even though I could not message anyone, I still used my phone to take pictures. As soon as I got service again, I checked all my social media and messages. I'm constantly using one form of technology or another. Sometimes I even use multiple forms at once. However, by realizing how technology affects me and by using it less over time, I might one day be able to go without technology for 48 hours or possibly longer.
ReplyDelete