Saturday, July 22, 2017

Mustapha Mond's Want for Power or Society's Happiness?

I am personally on the borderline of whether I like Brave New World or think it needs more work. Ms. Fletcher was definitely right about how weird the book is. It seemed like some of the characters were not fully developed and some parts are cliche, overall the story at one point become very flat.  Although, I did find it interesting how Huxley portrays a society where there is a caste system, Pavlovian experiments are actually conducted and values that we characterize as important are illustrated as having no emotional attachment (sex, monogamy and having individuality). It’s different from many other books about future societies that are controlled in some aspect with science and advancement of technology.
One character in the novel that really piqued my interest was Mustapha Mond. Mond is the Controller of Western Europe and “The Voice” that all the people living in this part of society follow. Mond was a physicist and was ambitious to conduct experiments, however his scientific pursuits were unveiled. "I was given the choice: to be sent to an island, where I could have got on with my pure science, or to be taken on to the Controllers' Council with the prospect of succeeding in due course to an actual Controllership. I chose this and let the science go. Happiness is a hard master — particularly other people's happiness. […] I'm interested in truth, I like science. But truth's a menace, science is a public danger. As dangerous as it's been beneficent. It has given us the stablest equilibrium in history. […]”(233).
Since Mond chose the path of being on the Controller’s Counsel then it seems that he never truly was connected to his firm belief of scientific discovery. He now censors any material that could affect the stability of population and happiness while sending away any individual pursuing “unorthodox actions”. However, he himself continues to read Shakespeare, The Bible, and many old books that are deemed too difficult for their society to understand. It seems to me it is contradictory for only him to be allowed to read these materials along with reviewing new scientific discoveries. I understand that it will affect the “Community, Identity, Stability” but for him to suddenly sacrifice science and take over a dominant position is odd. Huxley specifically doesn’t show Mustapha giving a direct answer as to why he decided to give up his pursuit of science for a major position, while contradicting his “laws” on the society.  Does it seem in some way he too has a subconscious ambition to maintain a powerful status or position? Which seems somewhat similar to Bernard when he used John as a way to gain even more social status/power. I would like to know anyone else's opinions or thoughts on this matter!

Krystal Jamjampour

2 comments:

  1. I think that Huxley was terrible when making characters. I think That Mustapha was just selfish and he didn't want to go to the island and if he stayed here he can now acquire as much knowledge that he can through all the banned books and such. Except for some reason he just appeared really obsessed with literature and it doesn't make sense to be selfish as a scientist (at least in this regard). A real scientist does his work for the advancement of humans. It'd be silly to learn so many things and just never tell anyone them and just let them die with you. It just feels contrived. If he had this ambition then it was never hinted at. For Bernard he always wanted to be adored and to have women, it basically told you so after Lenina asks him out on a date. Why make him seem knowledgeable and introspective and then just kick him to the side? You just couldn't invest any of your emotions into the characters they felt so contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Mustapha Mond chose to become a controller because of the immense power that he would have over everybody else. In addition to being able to break the law without being punished, he is in control of Western Europe. If he chose to be sent to an island, he would have been able to do whatever he wanted, but he wouldn't have been in charge of anything or anyone. As a controller, he has the freedom to do as he pleases, but he is careful that he does not undermine the stability and ignorance of the society because he is afraid of being overthrown or killed. Even though he is convinced that what he is doing is for the greater good, I believe that Mond is just trying to ensure that he stays in power.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.