Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Could Anyone be President?

 As I was finishing one of our assigned books Amusing Ourselves To Death I found myself in agreement with what  Postman had to say about politics. Throughout  the book Postman states that our votes and presidential elections have become nothing but amusing and entertaining for the American people rather than  important and serious. For instance this past election was nothing but entertainment to me so I believe that it could’ve also been entertaining for the rest of  America and possibly other countries. President Donald Trump used slogans and social media, such as Twitter to gain the attention of our country along with promising action on important issues. Furthermore because debates and elections are now hosted on television and  the slogans and appearances of the candidates become more interesting and important to us than the actual content. Postman illustrates in chapter three about how fascinating it was to people to sit down for seven hours to watch debates between Lincoln and Douglas. I believe the American people during that time were able to consume more information along with becoming more informed about both candidates. In present days by  the looks of  things  anyone could be our president as long as they are somewhat experienced, amusing, promising and use phrases that speak to the american people. With the help of Hitler and Mussolini, Trump was able to win over most of America's attention by using a well known slogan brought up by Hitler “Make Germany Great Again” into making it his own “Make America Great Again”. Only a few would know that he borrowed such a ridiculous phrase from a horrible human if we weren't so caught up in a technological culture and actually opened up a book or website with information about where he possibly got this slogan. Overall I think that anyone is capable of becoming a president as long as it's not a woman sadly that is the only  appearance that no one wants as president. On the other hand if you believe you are capable of winning over Americans by amusing and entertaining the public just as our current president is, I suggest you run for presidency the year 2020 if Kanye doesn't beat you to it.

Clarissa Rojas

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you're saying because it does seem like this year and last year has been nothing but entertainment during and after the presidential election. I have noticed that every debate that occurred would always have terrible attitude from some of the candidates just so they could amuse the audience, yet they didn't really go great in detail about their future decisions as president. Politics in this country are starting to get messed up since candidates today are people who have a great appearances, no political experience, and an attitude that attracts the audience, which is a point that Neil Postman explains in the ninth chapter of the book. People in this country are starting to elect presidents that they have no idea what the candidate's opinion is to change this country, which is something that they would regret doing since our current president is making decisions that are making people who have voted for him regret doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I agree that anyone can be president,but I also agree that women can be President. Just because Hillary did not win the presidency last year does not mean that they lost their chance. Hillary Clinton does not represent all women. Both candidates had their flaws, but it is just that Trump dominated Media. Last year, Donald Trump gained exposure by saying outrageous comments and extreme ideas every day. Every time that I would turn on the TV, there would be another report about how Donald Trump wanted to make “America Great Again”. However, I also believe that in today’s world is about appearance. Neil Postman in the beginning of Amusing Ourselves to Death states that no one wants to have a 300 pound person as their President because it is all about image in today's world. To add on, elections today have been getting more ridiculous and it does seem like it is only for entertaining purposes, and comes down to whoever has the better punch line. This election displayed the direction that we are heading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying and yes I agree Hillary does not represent all women but a lot of women did count on her to represent them. I also believe that the only reason Hillary did come close to becoming our president was because no one wanted Trump to be and that was a final solution and in away I think she knew that.

      Delete
    2. I agree that a lot of people did not want Trump to be President and that many women thought of her as their representation. But, I still believe that women have a chance to be President in the future. I know that many men feel that a man needs to stay in the role as Presidency, but I think that in the future people will start realizing the capability that women have. It's only a matter of time, and well Hillary did win the popular vote, so I feel like everyone is starting to be optimistic on the reality of having a women President.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.