Postman does have some solid points, like how television is not always accurate, but scholars and scientists all have thought that previous technoloy was bad for people. For example, Conrad Gessener in the 16th century stated, "...confusing and harmful abundance of books." People used to think that books were bad for people, but now books are used in every classroom across America. Socrates even said that "[books] will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls." Television does feed people misinformation, however, it is not creating that big of an impact on peoples' lives. People watching television programs were never going to do something about what they saw on television. They were just going to watch it and continue on with their normal lives.
-Mikaela Vail
That is very interesting, I never thought of it from that point of view before. In my opinion, I still think that television is having somewhat of a negative effect on people. However, I do understand your point. Many people think that anything new is bad for people, but your point about books is very valid. People used to think books were bad, but now they are commonly used and seen as a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read this book yet but (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't the television made for entertainment? You turn on the television to relax usually. Sometimes you may want to watch a thought provoking movie or documentary but it usually just remains a thought. You never really do anything with those ideas in your head. Not to mention I feel you have to be a pretty pliable person to be influenced by television commercials that sell the newest weight trends and etc. I don't think I ever thought something on television was real unless it was a raw documentary, live footage, or local news footage. Except they do not accurately portray actual events sometimes so even that to me is fishy. I understand that an argument for watching all this television is that you could've spent all that doing something else then watching t.v., but that's most likely not true since when you're watching it you're usually lazy or tired anyway. So what else would you even do? I believe people thought books were bad for dumb superstitious reasons. The only comparison I could make with that in today's world is that how people think that vaccines cause autism. It just doesn't make sense and it's just superstition.
ReplyDeleteYes, the TV was made for entertainment, but some of the content is a bad influence. You say that it would take someone "pliable" to be influenced by a weight loss commercial, but I would have to disagree. These commercials point out people's flaws and make them feel insecure about themselves making them feel like they have to buy their product in order to become the "perfect" human which media portrays.
DeleteI would also agree with Naomi. I think it is very easy for a person to be influenced by weight loss commercials that tend to shame those overweight. This may not seem like such a big deal for someone who doesn't struggle with weight, but for those who do, it could have a major affect on them. When commercials are constantly pointing out someones "flaws", their bound to feel the need to buy the product. Therefore, I think it's extremely easy for someone to be impacted by a commercial.
DeleteI think it's very dependent on the person. I used to be a little chubby and a very insecure but I don't know weight loss commercials never made me feel like I needed that product. Especially when you're very self aware and you know they're scamming you. It just depends on how desperate you are, that's what that kind of commercial prays on. Still I agree that it's not right for them to do that to someone.
Delete