Saturday, July 15, 2017

A.I. Is the Future

Artificial intelligence has been a long time coming. Going as far back as the movies which predicted robot takeover, people have had their sights set on the future. However, I don' believe that artificial intelligence will be such a bad thing. Humans are creative and ambitious beings who continue to invent and have ambitious plans for the future, so it is only natural that technology will continue to advance. Many people have an issue with the fact the artificial intelligence will wipe out many jobs. However, technology has been wiping out jobs ever since the creation of the cotton gin.

The solution is the invention of new jobs. The creation of A.I. will open many doors to new job opportunities as it closes old ones. There will need to be people to code the A.I. programs and fix the robotics in which it resides. I truly believe that the problem isn't a lack of jobs; it's a lack of motivation. The main issue is that some people will not work hard enough to fill the jobs that are being offered. According to CNN as of December of 2016, there were 5.6 million jobs left unfilled. There are literally millions of jobs left unfilled every year. People just need to be ambitious enough to find a way to fill them.

Naomi Hindman


3 comments:

  1. Yes but with the creation of A.I. which is technically already a thing but it's just not advanced. You're losing way more jobs then you're gaining. Well at least with that generation of workers since that generation is ill prepared to deal with the requirements of the needed field, but newer generations step up and take the jobs the older one can't get. Which is fine that's what happens when technology advances people usually tend to lose jobs and it should all balance out. If you're talking about movie A.I. where it's has the same intelligence and consciousness or greater than a human's that's dangerous because they're obviously going to have different motives then a human being. If you do that you need to make it a symbiotic relationship, if that robot were to turn on you it should gain nothing and it should lose everything and vice versa for you. It's the only way that could be successful. I don't think the problem is lack of motivation it's where to start. It's really really hard to make really effective artificial intelligence and that's putting it lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the idea of artificial intelligence. It's a scary thing to accept because growing up, we see in movies how robots can walk and talk just like humans. But I wouldn't trust them with certain jobs. For example, I have seen videos on Instagram showing how a robot can preform surgery on living things. I definitely would not like to leave my life in the tongs of a robot. The industrial revolution alone got rid of many people's jobs. Although, yes, people still did have jobs to operate the machines. But I would like to leave artificial intelligence at mass production. Talk of self-driving-cars is scary and something I would not trust. You mention how there are many open jobs yet, many people are still unemployed? I don't understand that but one thing I do understand is that as a capitalist country we need humans to keep their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you talk about artificial intelligence becoming integrated and in this case, dominant in our future, I think it's also necessary to consider how robots and computers aren't just being made to do objective jobs anymore, but sociable robots are now being made to emote artificially as well. Aside from the issue of occupations, based on what I've read in Sherry Turkle's Alone Together, there are people in the world that don't just prefer robots to people when it comes to performing tasks but prefer them to people when it comes to relationships and interaction. The problems that surface at the talk of this topic are numerous and have dreadful consequences. People are now seeking relationships with robots in order to have a "no risk, no consequence" relationship. Such relationships will evolve people to only think for themselves. They will be driven to find life and responsibility with real people hard and overwhelming and will ultimately lead to them cutting themselves off and living in an isolated world. And as it becomes a trend, in the end we risk the loss of natural people and creatures and all the good things within them. I agree with you when you say it is inevitable for technology to expand to accommodate for the human ambition, but when you talk about A.I. becoming the future, one cannot fail to see the problems advanced socialable robots will bring along with the ones you've discussed. It then leads one to second guess whether an artificial intelligence takeover is a good thing. I think it is important to remember that in a world where artificial intelligence rules, the key word is artificial.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.