In the New York Times’, Is Creativity Endangered, some argue that creativity is at an all time high and some reason that it is at an all time low. Particularly, author and campaign director, Susan Linn faults children's toys and the “screen-saturated culture” for depriving an upcoming generation of creativity. Linn claims that electronic distractions that we access to avoid boredom are responsible for starving creativity. For instance, when Linn writes, “... stretches of having ‘nothing to do’ are exactly what [inspires creative thinking]” she explicates how boredom is crucial to inspire imagination and deep thinking. Linn continues her argument by denouncing licensed toys. Stating that toys “(...)with predetermined names, voices, personalities and scripts” eliminate children’s opportunities to be creative because the toys are already molded to be something rather than allowing the child to create a disposition for the toy. All in all, Linn professes that creativity is endangered because of electronics, commercialized toys, and our lack of thinking due loss of boredom.
I agree with Linn’s arguments because as a babysitter, I see how children's toys such as stuffed animals and Lincoln logs have been replaced by tablets. For instance, I once suggested playing with play dough to six year olds, they told me they’d rather watch Dinotrux on Netflix. While these children still have a sense of curiosity and creativity, I’ve noticed that most children prefer their tablets rather than arts and crafts.
Similar to the children, I’ve also observed the behavior of my peers. I see how my classmates are constantly on their phone in my art class either on social media or using google images to find inspiration for their projects rather than coming up with their own original ideas.
After being enlightened by the summer homework for this class, I’ve tried to avoid using my phone as much as possible. Eliminating my tendency to be on my phone has allowed me to spend more time doing things I enjoy such as making hand woven bracelets and watercolor paintings. Also having down time away from screens has caused my mind to wander and my imagination to soar.
- Julia Enzmann
I agree with you on the topic that boredom is the gate to creativity. I believe that it is when we have nothing to do that we let our thoughts wonder on complicated and creative topics. While I do love using my phone, I can't help but feel a little empty as I try to amuse myself with the web. Overall to a certain extent, technology is preventing us from being as creative as we can be.
ReplyDeleteHi Julia I agree with your support of Linn's argument when it comes time children's toys limiting kids creativity I am the youngest in my family so I don't have a lot of experiences with young kids, but I can understand your perspective as a babysitter. Do you think that this theory is limited to kids though ,or are there any examples of limited creativity for adults in the workplace or in their personal life.
ReplyDeleteHello Jill! To answer your question, this theory of technology putting a dent in our creativity is definitely not limited to children. It applies to everyone.
DeleteAs Linh wrote, boredom is the gate to creativity. Therefor, how can one reach their creative capability if they are constantly distracted by the hollow entertainment of an electronic device? I'm sure you and many others can agree, we can spend our time doing something more productive than watching futile videos on our phones like ASMR slime videos. Although some might find that more productive than looking out the window and letting your mind wander. But at least it requires some thought. Whereas, if you were on your phone, you would just acknowledge a post for a minute at most and then continue to scroll onto the next post.
Typing back to you may only educate you. However, I challenge you to take some time out of your day and go on a walk. Don't wear headphones or have any other distractions! Maybe bring your dog if you have one. But just notice and question things. For instance, notice the formation of the clouds, the different architecture of houses, the weather, or go people watching. I'm confident that after you recognize and question things you'll get a full understanding of the theory.
I agree with you Julia. I have also been noticing how people interact with technology and with other people since the summer assignments. I see technology taking over our sense of individual imagination and creativity because there are so many forms of media that make us lose a sense of self. Modernization is benefiting efficiency and the economy, but it's forcing us to ignore our creative part of our minds and to be like everyone else. In order to be considered successful in society people have to be normal and make a ton of money. By normal I mean sharing the same goals, ideas, educational background, and perspectives. This mentality is being forced upon us by technology and causing creativity to vanish throughout the world.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with your statement about how our summer homework was a bit of a wake-up-call. I'm now uncomfortably aware of how addicted I am to my phone, and it seems likely it's had an impact on my creativity and thoughts. Even as I type out this comment, I fight the urge to look at the incoming text messages popping up on my phone screen. With constant distractions at the tips of our fingertips, our minds are hardly ever given time to wander. There’s a constant hum of music playing through earbuds, buzz of an incoming notification, or gabber of dialog coming from Netflix. I like your idea of a challenge, Julia. I myself am going to work on unshackling myself from my phone this year to see how much good it does me.
ReplyDelete