Thursday, September 21, 2017

Creative Destruction

Writers such as Susan Linn argue that the depletion of our creativity is caused by electronic devices. The majority of individuals now use computers to complete their work and this act alone causes the lack of creativity. Instead of pondering about something out of the box to say, students will probably write about the first thing they see that shows up on Google. Linn also retaliates that all of the screen time gven to children actually deprives them of key elements to accomplish creativty: time, space, and silence.

I disagree with Linn because I see creativity everywhere. Richard Florida claims that creativity is all around us. Everyone has creativity but not everyone chooses to accpet it. By the inspiration of others, we have the ability to come up with new ideas and innovations. The main predicament is that people who don’t understand the perspective of others don’t see their thinking as creativity. Instead of overlooking the creativity of others, we must become more appreciative. Florida provides evidence that the older you get the less “out of the box thinking” you have. This goes to show that the older you are the more oppurtunities you have to be shadowed and looked down upon. Although at a young age you might be distracted by electronic devices, they actually improve creative processes through animated art, music composure, gaming, etc.

- Joyce Dela Cruz

1 comment:

  1. I partially disagree with how you said that the older you get, the less out-of-the-box thinking you have. From experience encounters, I resolve that this varies among different people. I see it as, when you get older, the more experience you have to know what other new ideas are sought out for. In another case, an older person may concrete their view of the world after experiencing so much. In the end, I do not believe one's capacity for creativity can be determined by things like age even if Florida had such evidence for so because I know these two types of people can exist.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.