There are many views on the effect that schools are having on students' creativity. Some people say that schools are not endangering the creativity of students and the limits of their thoughts. Some others argue that, yes, schools are limiting and endangering students creativity.
Richard Low, an author and chairman of emeritus of the Children and Nature network, believes that "Creativity is not endangered."(Low). He thinks that this century, the 21st century, is the most creative century to live in because of the "environmental changes" that we face and have to adapt to and work around.
While his argument is reasonable, I find it difficult to support. My position states that creativity is being endangered and challenged through the school systems. As a teenager in high school, I am faced with these challenges everyday. My classmates and I are forced to learn the same things and go through the same routines each hour of the day. When do we have time to be ourselves and be different?
-Joy Umeh
I agree with you in that student's creativity is being limited through schools. There is never enough time for ourselves to just sit and think about things. There is always one event after the other, one homework assignemnt after the other, or one practice after the other. Also, in schools, they encourage creativity and individuality; however, kids also being pushed into conformity at the same time. We all learn in one way and are expected to succeed in one way, by getting all A's. Maybe there are different ways to become successful, that are not as well known. We never know because schools limit our creativity, which in a way limits us. There really is no time to be ourselves and be different, but I think if we work hard to make time for it, we will be able to let our creativity flow.
ReplyDelete