Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Creativity Wilts in an Industrial Wasteland.

In The New York Times, "Is Creativity Endangered?" The melody of creativity lays in the songbird, according to Richard Louv, author   of "The Nature Principle: Reconnecting With Life in a Virtual Age".
Science shows that being in nature increases your creativity around fifty percent. It's not when our future will die out it's how we can change the way we think. If we incorporated nature into our civilization, not only will our world be teeming with beautiful architecture, but it will also create a rich center of ideas. And it will boost the economy, since more jobs are demanded to carry out these tasks and designs and up keeps.
I've always wanted to live in the mountains because that's where I feel I can be happy. Casually drawing, sipping on a hot cup of joe, with a view of the rocky aspen forest. It's not just devices that strip away your inability to conceive new creations, or hinder the creation of something entirely new, cities and shadows of industrial districts also feel cognitively degrading. Buildings begin to feel cut and paste, colors become more cool and grey, and the quality of life becomes undoubtedly questionable. 
How do you think a society built around nature instead of bulldozing through it would function? What do you think a daily commute would look like?
~Mason Cross

2 comments:

  1. I love the mountains, I love the woods, but I also love the big city; and I don't think it's where creativity goes to die. The big city is a bastion of creativity, a veritable Cornucopia of ideas. The big city, with its endless expanses of grays and blacks, is a whole canvas of its own. Graffiti covers the walls, blasting 100% Technicolor Poeticism into your Eye-Holes. In the middle of a cold, gray, industrial wasteland, a Heart of pure creativity and expression beats. Some say Creativity is endangered, but I believe it's quite the opposite, for Creativity never dies. (Once again I wrote this on my way home on my phone. I'm almost there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure there's dazzling street art and some neat store fronts, but that isn't the whole city, it's usually just a small portion of it, and a lot of cities don't have that kind of touch to it. So for the most part, yes, yes creativity does wilt in the wastelands of grays and uniformity. But of course creativity doesn't die because even logical approaches acquire some creative element. Creativity as a whole it's just dampened in a city.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.