It's definitely mind blowing how technology changes the way we think of everything, including the relationships we have with people and our expectations as to what we can do for each other
I read Nicholas Carr's book, The Shallows, and this Ted Talk from Sherry Turkle really opened up my eyes in what technology is doing to how we perceive human interaction. One of the things that really stood out to me is the fact that we can't stand being alone, that we have to constantly be connected to one another, yet it is because of this that we do not have anymore 'alone time' for ourselves, time to reflect on our own personal being that allows us to find our self-identity and develop. This really resonated with me because over the past year, I've been feeling so lonely since all my friends are able to use Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and other media very easily and quickly whereas I struggle with my incompetent iPhone 4. However, when I took a break from my phone, especially over the summer, I realized that I was actually trying to find my own self identity.
I was doing all sorts of stuff, singing, dancing, cooking, playing an instrument, and even exercising! That's a big bonus, since I hate exercising. I was doing all these activities that might help me see a better version of myself. In my head, I think this was what Sherry Turkle refers to as self-development. I was investing in alone time to help me find my own interests and take care of myself. Maybe I totally got the point wrong and misinterpreted my activities for something else when they were just for amusement, however, my decision to take a break from media allowed me to invest and interact with the things that I look to do, instead of watching someone else go to Disneyland and feel like I'm part of it.
Of course I still went on my phone on a daily basis, but it was my decision to limit it that made all the difference.
It's definitely mind blowing how technology changes the way we think of everything, including the relationships we have with people and our expectations as to what we can do for each other
ReplyDeleteI read Nicholas Carr's book, The Shallows, and this Ted Talk from Sherry Turkle really opened up my eyes in what technology is doing to how we perceive human interaction. One of the things that really stood out to me is the fact that we can't stand being alone, that we have to constantly be connected to one another, yet it is because of this that we do not have anymore 'alone time' for ourselves, time to reflect on our own personal being that allows us to find our self-identity and develop. This really resonated with me because over the past year, I've been feeling so lonely since all my friends are able to use Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and other media very easily and quickly whereas I struggle with my incompetent iPhone 4. However, when I took a break from my phone, especially over the summer, I realized that I was actually trying to find my own self identity.
I was doing all sorts of stuff, singing, dancing, cooking, playing an instrument, and even exercising! That's a big bonus, since I hate exercising. I was doing all these activities that might help me see a better version of myself. In my head, I think this was what Sherry Turkle refers to as self-development. I was investing in alone time to help me find my own interests and take care of myself. Maybe I totally got the point wrong and misinterpreted my activities for something else when they were just for amusement, however, my decision to take a break from media allowed me to invest and interact with the things that I look to do, instead of watching someone else go to Disneyland and feel like I'm part of it.
Of course I still went on my phone on a daily basis, but it was my decision to limit it that made all the difference.