Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Are Smartphones Taking over Photography?

With the use of a smartphone, people are able to snap a picture in an instant. Smartphones make is extremely easy for anyone to be able to take their own pictures without a professional photographer and their DSLRs. The wait time is reduced because people do not need to wait weeks for a photographer to spend hours editing pictures on Photoshop; instead, they can easily put a filter on their picture and immediately upload it to Instagram.
Professional photography emphasizes a carefully thought out approach to capturing the perfect shot, whereas amateur photography with smartphones simply aims to capture a shot. Even though the camera of a smartphone is readily available, the quality of it does not compare to the quality of a picture taken on a big camera.
Taking photography as a class at Mayfair has made me appreciate the art of actually planning out how I am going to take a picture instead of quickly getting one with my phone. Although it is film and black and white photography, I learned how to use the skills taught and apply them to digital photography. Perhaps that is why I am biased when it comes to having to use an actual camera versus a smartphone.
Do you think that smartphones are threatening the camera industry? How will this affect professional photographers and their careers? Will people no longer hire them and start using their smartphones as an alternative? Or will smartphones inspire young people to become professional photographers?

Karla Colon




5 comments:

  1. Smartphone companies are improving their cameras to the point where the quality matches most DSLR cameras. I do believe that smartphones could potentially have the same exact functions as a DSLR would. However, this doesn't mean that digital cameras are going to be extinct. Some people use them for classes, hobbies, or for work. Also, having a digital camera gives you more control and enables you customize it to your choosing. If photography is your thing, then investing in a digital camera is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My freshman year I took a year long digital photography course and came out with a B both semesters without using a DSLR once. Even though the DSLR was provided by the school and all I had to do was go to the library and ask for permission, I found it much easier to use the IPad that I was allowed to use for classes. In that class it was obvious who cared about their work and who didn’t just by the quality of the photographs. I remember doing presentations and seeing gorgeous photos by my fellow classmates while me and my friends shared basically the same landscape of the campus. I doubt the camera industry is in any type of danger because it looks more professional to take photos with a camera than an IPhone or IPad. I also believe photographers will always be in demand because they capture moments in their true beauty. To me photography was just my visual art requirement, but for many it is much more than that. It is a way to share the beauty of the world around us or to alter it to the way we want it to be or maybe even into our darkest fears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cameras, in any shape or form, will always be in high demand. In recent years, the cameras in smartphones have only been getting better and better but I don't think that it will replace professional cameras anytime soon. Photos, whether taken from a phone or a DSLR, are an art form and there will always be an audience for that. Professional photographers have an extensive knowledge on how to capture their shots so I think that they'll continue to be valued for their work even if smartphone cameras have been getting more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The camera could potentially be replaced by smartphones, but it does not mean that the art of photography will be lost. If tech companies can produce a smartphone that takes pictures that are equal to the quality of a professional camera, what is the problem using a smartphone versus a camera? Just because people take pictures on a smartphone does not mean they do not appreciate photography or that they don't plan out their picture taking process carefully and thoughtfully. I believe that tech companies should continue to improve the camera quality of smartphones because it would make the ability to take high quality pictures more easily accessible. It would give people that don't have enough money to afford an expensive camera a great alternative way to take pictures of the same quality with a device that they probably already own. I believe that a picture's beauty is defined by the content of the picture not by the device used to produce it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.