The Shallows and Amusing Ourselves to Death often mention similar topics. The one that really resonated with me was their theory that exposure to the media and television have deteriorated people's ability to read or absorb voluminous amounts of information. I myself have gone through this deterioration and suspected intense entertainment as the culprit for my inability to read for extended periods of time. I have poignant memories of when I was a small child, when I was able to read for an entire day and finish books as large as the Harry Potter series. Just as Postman and Carr claim, I simply do not have the patience or incentive to read as much as I used to, and my mind would often wander, seeking for more action or entertainment in some way. I wonder how many people watch television, YouTube, or other entertainment sites, go on social media, or even listen to music while they read or do their homework. How does one finish their work in such a situation?
-Simon Ketema
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.