Thursday, August 17, 2017

Missing it

After beginning Amusing Ourselves to Death written by Neil Postman I would have to say that I agree that our society is becoming more entertainment and technology based. I shared Postman’s ideas with my mother the other night and she began telling me stories from what she has witnessed in the NICU where she works. She told me that often times the fathers’ of the babies being born are on their phones or devices while their child is being born. My mom also told me that this occurs when the nurses are trying to teach the new parents how to take care of their child. When my mom told me this I was shocked. I never would've thought that a phone would have that much of an impact on someone's life that they would completely miss the birth of their own children. I am deeply disturbed by what our society is becoming and hope that it does not continue down this path.

-Kaitlyn Schaper

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with the author especially when he emphasizes that the media twists news in a way to form some sort of entertainment and not providing the complete story. The social media, texting, and phone calls have a power over us and occupy every bit of attention we have available.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.