Thursday, August 17, 2017

Authors beliefs

In Amusing Ourselves To Death the author attacks the idea of television and believes that is has no purpose of actual information but just for entertainment purposes.Postman feels that television as ruined the culture and nowadays people no longer carry conversations they simply entertain each other. Also, he believes that the media takes important situations and convert them into entertainment to gain audience.Postman speaks about how reporters are qualified as a credible sources. He makes a valid point that reporters that earn our trust are the most popular and attractive. He doesn’t believe that the information provided is untrue however he believes that it is best entertained by the audience.Also Postman argues that the printed press has “written content” as opposed to televised press. He believes that the printed press is more effective and refers to it as “serious business”.

Tricia Roserie

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Postman, and I feel like an interesting thing to add to this is the CEO of CNN's statement on how his news corporation handles news. In an interview with the New York Times, he admitted that he treats political news like a sport and models his panels like those of ESPN. I personally find it disgusting how the company mishandles news like that. Reading about Postman's views on how the media is distorting information, I couldn't help but think of this.

    Link to the interview: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/magazine/cnn-had-a-problem-donald-trump-solved-it.html?mcubz=0
    (The statement from the CEO is near the bottom quarter of the article)

    Also, I'm not saying this because I'm a Trump supporter in any way. I consider myself an independent who analyzes situations without the bias of a political agenda.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.