After
finishing the novel Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Trchnology and
Less from Each Other, by Sherry Turkle, I learned a lot about the state of
mind that people have in the society.
Throughout this novel we read
through different advances in technology. Turkle talked about artificial intelligence,
robotics, iPhones and iPads, etc. We read about experiments conducted on
different generations to see their reactions and responses to what was
happening. We found a common ground throughout these experiments that was
displayed throughout the years of age.
The people being experimented on
would become attached to the technology they replaced with. Why is that? If the
experiment was conducted on you, do you think you would produce the same results and/or outcome?
I believe that the technology
these days are somewhat addicting and play a huge role in our lives and how we
see things. They certainly do, at times, affect our actions towards other
people. Why is that so? Why must we be so influenced by technology around us?
~Joy Umeh
Like the novel What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, by Nicholas Carr, there were experiments as well. The people being experimented on did too become attached to the machine despite knowing it had no real human aspects. If an experiment was conducted on me, I think it depends on what kind of experiment if I would like or dislike that specific machine. However it does appear to be an addiction if people are so quick to accept technology as a replacement, for example a therapist. In my novel, their experiments were constantly similar to the results of the people favoring the technology over the human therapist. I think we are so influenced by technology because it has made us believe it is more reliable than any other human, therefore we are trying to turn everything into technology.
ReplyDelete