Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Could Gender Equality Ever Become a Reality?

     Working on Room for Debate, I became quite passionately intrigued when I read the article "What Did Donald Trump Reveal About Progress for Women?" because I posses strong opinions regarding this issue. What does the future hold for women? How much can we really progress with the president fighting against us rather than with us? 
     President Trump has made it very clear that he sees women as inferiors by publicly objectifying and devaluing us. Rather than viewing sexual harassment as a serious and appalling issue in society, he speaks of it in a nonchalant and inconsiderate manner. He speaks of using his power to sexually assault women and not be penalized for his actions. This message that he portrays is that it is acceptable for men to disrespect women with no regards to their rights and feelings. 
     The action taken by women to fight for their rights and equality has quickly increased, but it seems that we just haven't fully reached our goal yet. Despite the marches and movements, society seems quite blind and ignorant of the situation. As women continue to be disrespected and seen as inferiors, it leaves little hope for completely achieving equality. Although the goal of some extreme feminists is slowly changing from equality to female superiority, many women just want to receive treatment and respect equal to what men receive. With the president against gender equality, do you believe that complete equality between men and women will ever be achieved in the future?


-Emily Jue 

5 comments:

  1. In many places throughout the world, women are not equal to men; The Middle East, Africa, and other places as well. However, in America, women are equal to men in every way. There's not really anything in America than only men can do. In the Middle East and other places, women are DEFINITELY not equal to men, I'll admit that's a 100% fact, It's usually due to religion and cultural beliefs. But, In America, women are most definitely equal to men, if not, they have more rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to disagree with Dylan. Even though women can obtain the same jobs as men, they are paid less for having the same title. According to USA Today, women overall earn eighty cents for every one dollar men earn. If you break the statistics down further, black women earn sixty-three cents and Latinas earn fifty-three cents for every one dollar men earn. If you want to see more about this, please read this https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/01/2017-womens-history-month/98247518/

    Also, I think the main reason why women feel so strongly about equality isn’t mainly about having the same jobs as men, but to feel valued and worthy as men are treated. Women should not feel ashamed about their bodies or emotions. As President Trump continues to openly degrade and objectify women, many people see that as being “okay.” Many people think, If the President is doing that, well then so can I. People should not be using Trump as a role model, but more as a reminder of how not to behave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot agree with Grace’s point more, but I will further provide encounters that I’ve had where the lack of equality in America is most definitely NOT equivalent. Especially in jobs of authority and manual labor, women are still not expected to apply for jobs such as these, due to outdated stereotypes about women handling different work. However, regarding the marches and outreaches that certain female activists have started, I do not agree with 100% of their beliefs.

    Just like anything with controversy, you will always gather the extremists who believe that all men think less of us, and continue to shame the other sex. Of course most women activists are not like that, it affects some progress due to these people. As a female who wishes for equal rights, I feel unsafe under the regulations in which Trump considered unnecessary. For instance, earlier this year, Trump tried to get a tax passed to tax feminine products because they are not a necessity. This is likely due to the fact that he is not female. It is obvious that he has not taken into consideration the necessities for a gender. So, ultimately, approximately half of our population suffers due to his slight?

    All in all, I believe that I have seen changed behaviors slightly in this growing progression of a female movement. However, I believe the saying “you are only as strong as your weakest” in this growing movement. If there is a possibility of equality between the genders, every woman and man must want to put in that effort. Consideration for gender equality affects everyone and their mother, daughter, sister and grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, It's very unfortunate that our President is such a bad role model, he definitely values women less than men. I read this really good article by The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/upshot/the-gender-pay-gap-is-largely-because-of-motherhood. It's not as much of a Wage Gap as it is an Earnings Gap. I just thought it cleared some stuff up for me, even. I learned some stuff I didn't know from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gender equality will never be achieved and settled among the world , because not everyone will agree and view women as the same as men. Gender equality is an impossible dream just as racial equality. I mean yes the world has changed where women have more rights, but the overall thought between men and women is that men are superior. Religions teach that as well, and people will believe their religion over any feminist who disagrees with them. There are closed minded people in this world and they will never be able to see the big picture of equality of the world and focus on themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.