Monday, August 14, 2017

Am I The Only One?

After reading The Shallows:  What the Internet is Doing to our Brains, I feel...a somewhat different way about Google Inc.  Like, in chapter 8, how they were talking about Google coming to be and how much it changed our society in a way.  Then, there was a part about Google Book Search, and how many people were on board with it, and how many were against it.  I caused a large scandal, which I found a little...ridiculous.  But their arguments were valid.  Many people thought that Google were going to own the rights to the books that they scanned once the copyright license for some of the books wore off (or if the license wore off before this time).  Google denied this, but people kept pushing the idea that this was going to happen.  Basically, this went on for three years, until the people gave up and Google Book Search became Google Books.
     This whole ordeal got me feeling a little weird about Google.  Like, what if they do try to buy the rights to basically everything else later on into the future?  What if Google starts to become more corporate?  I mean, they seem to be powerful enough.  Maybe they'll just, take over every industry once I turn fifty-eight or something.  I'm just worried that they would do that is all.
-Jalei Alani Britt

2 comments:

  1. Such big corporations like Google do seem to intimidate not only us but other corporations that compete with each other. This reminds me of Disney buying Star Wars and Marvel, and how i was just asking myself, "What will they take next?" However, just because some big company takes over other ones does not necessarily makes things bad. Usually big companies like Google know what they are doing

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add to what you were saying, copyright through both google and especially Disney is getting out of hand. How are businesses especially small ones able to get rights from these huge companies, you'd have to be just as big as them in order to gain them. Being an artist I'm not against copyright, but if they take down my work that's based off of Star Wars then they should have the ability to work something out. I could sell and have us both earn money if that's the case, but I still wish these companies didn't take over so much things.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.