Thursday, August 17, 2017

Like Oil and Water

Reading Amusing Ourselves to Death was really eye opening for me.  I never knew how negatively television affected public discourse of today.  There was so much I learned within the first few chapters.  I was most impacted by the “Shuffle Of to Bethlehem” chapter. The Age of Show Business has affected almost every aspect of life especially religion. Religion has found a way to use entertainment as a way for “preaching and spreading the gospel”.  Postman gives an example of Reverend Terry a preacher who is more focused on making an audience laugh rather than spreading the spiritual messages of Christ.  I believe that entertainment and religion do not mix well like oil and water. Television may attract a lot of followers, however the focus of all television is to entertain.  Using television takes away from worshipping the Lord and becomes more about idolizing get the host of the show.  A religion's purpose is not to entertain, but to provide hope and faith.  Do you think that using television to spread religious beliefs is more beneficial or more detrimental?

- Emma Kailiponi

4 comments:

  1. I agree that entertainment and religion shouldn't mix. It takes the attention away from what they are praising. One of the things that really got my attention in this chapter was that many of these programs make money from viewers. Some are donations, but a lot of the money they receive is to buy actual items or win prizes. Television enables people to take advantage of viewers and make a profit off of religion. I suppose some televised sermons are beneficial for those who can't attend a mass; however, the church being televised needs to make sure that worshiping God is their priority, not making money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the spread of religion through television can be disparaging to the religion itself. I believe that actually going to church and hearing a preacher is a lot more effective in hearing the word of God then hearing about it on television. When you hear about it on television you're right it becomes more about the host instead of about God and his message. On television you can see the audience clapping for the preacher instead of for the word he is preaching and to me at least he seems to be putting on a show rather than actually focusing on spreading God’s word. I definitely say I would rather go to church and listen to the word of God than hear about it on television just because it seems more personal and solely focused on spreading God’s teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, television as a tool for spread of religion is detrimental. Television's main and sole purpose is to entertain and religion on television is adopting that same purpose. I agree with you completely on how television is neglecting religion's true purpose. Religion rejuvenates, not entertains the soul. Televangelists, in my opinion, have the right intention in mind when they preach on air to gain more followers and believers. But television disrupts the holiness religion is supposed to have. Another fundamental television religion lacks is rituals and participation. Communion and worship at churches involves the whole congregation while on television it only requires the pastor and his choir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on what you classify as spreading religion. On one hand yes it is true that television reaches a lot of people and is mainly used for entertainment. But I think that people on television don't really intend to teach the gospel. I believe that their main purpose is to just get the gospel out into the masses. Only to remind people of religion or maybe even persuade some people to join their religion and go to church. Obviously they must be entertaining to keep their show going but the purpose is no longer to preach and praise the gospel, rather to influence the masses watching television to go to church or join their religion. So I believe it isn't detrimental to religion if you look at it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.