After reading, Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle, I've noticed how technology has really separated us from each other, but we do not see this issue right away. Before, sending formal handwritten letters was common, and in a way, people felt really deep about getting these, because they are receiving a piece from that person. In addition, phone calls allow you to listen to the person that you are conversing with. These ways of communicating took time to process but it still kept close ties.
Now into the 21st there is texting on mobile devices and instant messaging through social medias that offer that speed-of-light chat. Texts are instant and can offer brief messages to family and friends, and these are kept very simple and superficial. Same with the IM's and these ways to be conversing are really separated because you do not see or hear the person you are chatting with, and these don't take time either which means that anyone can send a text literally at any time without any consequences. Thus, text messages lose their value and are found more meaningless than phone calls or letters because they do not show the time and effort unlike the other two. So what now? Can we only expect to become more separated in the future even though we have that mentality that we are always connected? We have to know when its the right time to disconnect and when to "connect" again.
-Andrew Ramos
I disagree, because I believe any form of communication can have varying amounts of meaning. Back then letters were the only form of communication, so they were more than likely treated the way most people treat texts now. Whenever anyone takes time out of their day to text me, I think it has significance. It shows they were thinking about me and wanted to communicate with me. Not all texts are quick and meaningless. I have sent and received many well thought out or meaningful texts. However, I do agree that texts make it easier for people to send simple messages that aren't thought out, because it is very unlikely that people sent letters with only a few words. Texting isn't making us more disconnected. In fact, it is another tool for us to stay connected to others.
ReplyDelete