The 1999 Disney Channel movie, Smart House is about an American family and their struggle against a house. A family wins this "House of the Future" competition that includes a virtual maid named "PAT." PAT is able to cook fancy meals in less than 10 seconds, throw parties, clean, etc... When the family's widowed father starts dating again, the son gets jealous and programs PAT to be more like a mother. The machine gets very overprotective and controls what the family sees and does. It's the job of both kids to overpower this PAT machine.
The 2016 I.T. movie is about a millionaire who has everything he could ever ask for. The millionaire is introduced to a I.T. guy that puts together a smart home for him. Their friendship turns awful as the I.T. Guy starts to stalk the daughter. The family is faced with an attack on every technological gadget they own.
These two movies have one main point in common. They both have a technological houses they can no longer control. Smart House has a virtual maid who controls the family. The I.T. movie has a hacker that causes chaos in their home with the use of technology. From the beginning of each movie, there were a ton of warning signs. It shows how computers know too much of our daily lives. Although both movies are fiction, they show us what direction technology could be headed in. Do you think Artificial Intelligence is the new future?
Joshua Gallegos
I think artificial intelligence is the route we're headed down; however, majority of the content of science fiction will remain just what it is: fiction. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie Smart House. That was one of my favorite movies Disney Channel aired. But just as Back to the Future 2 falsely predicted the existence of hoverboards and flying cars in 2015, some aspects of the plots science fiction writers conceive will not become reality.
ReplyDelete