Thursday, August 17, 2017

Face to Face

Thanks to modern technology we have the world in our back pockets, but it has caused us to lose important communication skills. Many of us are very attached to our smart phones and depend on it a lot to the point where we can't even speak with one another without technology but this doesn't go for everyone. Yes, most people can't talk without their phones but others could be incredibly shy or scared to talk but for the ones who can't talk face to face are throwing away important relationships away.

Recently I went to a music festival with a friend and as we were waiting in line to get into the venue I saw two different groups within the line waiting to go inside, there were people who didn't have their phones in their face and talking to each other but then there was groups of people together yet still looking down at a screen. Even during the festival there was many people in the crowds on their phones during the performances with a group of people, these festival's are meant to put away your smart phone and have a good time but they didn't get the memo. During the festival I made some friends who did get the memo to put away your phones and enjoy the concert, you can't expect to walk up to a person and become instant friends but you work your way there if you talk. I didn't even have to say much but complement their shirt and a whole conversation grew from there, I wasn't expecting to come out of the venue with new friends but I did because I put my phone away when I wasn't recording the musicians for memories. I could have been on my phone the entire time and missed out on the amazing moments that happened, watching all these bands I have been a fan of for so long, making friends, meeting members of my favorite bands, and not having to worry when my phone would go off.

Do you think we are missing out on so many moments because we are so attached to our smart phones? Could we limit and control ourselves? Is a smart phone really worth missing out on living our life's? We are here to have a good time, not to stare at a phone screen.

-Dennise Villa

3 comments:

  1. I believe we are missing out on many important moments due to our dependence on our smart phones. Many times on road trips or flights, I've been a victim to playing on my phone rather enjoying the scenery. Not only do we lose memories, we lose important social skills as well. With text messaging and other online forms of communication, it's harder to actually talk in real life to others. This is exemplified by anyone who tries to look busy on their phone when seeing someone familiar rather than saying hi til the last minute. Harder to talk in real life also means harder to discuss emotions as well. I'm pretty sure many people are unable to process feelings unless they're texting or calling someone. We can control our dependence and excessive need of smartphones but we won't. Phones are our connection and security, despite the dastard effect on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely believe that our communication skills have been deteriorating little by little in the 21st Century because people cannot have a conversation without checking their phone every 5 minutes. Also, many people in relationships go on dates or dinner together and instead of speaking to each other they text each other when sitting right across from one another. The modern technology is helping in one way but destroying another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think our conversation skills are regressing, if anything, they're advancing. We can now talk to anyone in the world at anytime, have you ever really thought about that? The world is so big, and we can just transcend that size. Yeah, people check their phones in the middle of conversations all the time, but have you ever done two things at once before? It's easy to do two things and focus on them both at the same time. Every time I check my phone in the middle of a conversation, It's to look something up that we were talking about. Anyways, maybe our communication skills are regressing, maybe not; But I say they aren't.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.