Thursday, August 17, 2017

Memes: Silly or Serious?

While researching for my Room for Debate articles from the New York Times, I stumbled across an article that made me laugh, until I realized the seriousness of the discussion. The article was titled, “Can a Meme be a Hate Symbol?” with a picture of someone holding a painting of Pepe the Frog. When observing a meme, most are just cheesy jokes meant for a laugh due to their incongruous assessments of real-life situations, but can they be used as hate? I definitely believe that anything can become a symbol of hate, just as something can become a symbol of love, but could a meme even be considered a serious symbol due to its humorous origins? After reading the article, I think it definitely can be twisted into something dark, but remains to represent silliness as of now. In my opinion, the meme was not originally intended to become a symbol of hate, and in turn should not be used as one. The hate spawns from users, not the meme itself. However, I was curious about how other students may see this issue, and whether or not you agree. Instead of the question Can a meme be a hate symbol?  I wonder what you would say to Can a meme be taken seriously as we are presented with this issue?


Hannah Rockwood 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely. Any symbol or phrase that has a negative or hateful connotation can spread a bad message. This is especially true today because social media is so influential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that social media is a powerful conveyor of messages, and once something is associated with a bad cause, it becomes a symbol of hate. To clarify, when I ask if a meme can be taken seriously, I meant will everyone be able to understand the seriousness when what was once a symbol of silliness becomes something darker. For example, will everyone see it for what the meme has become, or will others disregard the fact and continue to use it as a joke? The seriousness of a situation regarding hate is not a laughing matter, and will even the young teens on the internet be able to understand that? That is what concerns me.

      Delete
  2. I believe that it is and can be used as hate because that's an easy way that people can make fun of other people. It can be very hurtful to some teens especially if they are more sensitive than others.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.