Thursday, August 17, 2017

Is Social Media a Requirement?

It seems everyone now has at least one or maybe more then one social media account, there are many reasons that people have social media accounts to follow trends or to keep in contact with old friends. Either way everyone is tweeting, snap chatting, posting on Instagram or updating a profile constantly, it doesn't seem to end. There are many people who are against using social media because they know the cost and what can come from having those accounts or they see no use to it, it's not a requirement.

I personally do have a few social media accounts for my own reasons, like example my Instagram is to keep up with some of my old childhood friends, current friends, but mostly for my favorite bands/artist. I'm guilty of spending a large amount of time on social media but I'm not on it 24/7 to the point where I can't live without it, that I have to post something or be on the app. Yet many people need it as a requirement, they need it on their phone and need to be on the app constantly. Social media is not a requirement, it is simply a choice that you can make whether or not if you want to use it. You don't need to a social media account to fit in within society, having these accounts doesn't make you more or less human than anyone else.

What do you believe? Is social media a requirement for you? How long can you go without using social media? Do you think social media will fade away like any other trend?

-Dennise Villa

5 comments:

  1. Since technology has become more and more advanced, I think many people feel that social media accounts are a requirement. As a society, we have become conditioned into believing that pointless things are important while important things are pointless. Personally, I use up my free time by using social media, even though I wish I couldn’t. During the times where I have to finish my homework or house chores, I’m constantly thinking about what’s happening on social media. To others, being separated from their phone almost seems like a form of punishment, which to me, seems a little bit excessive and even funny. I can handle being separated from my phone for at least a couple hours without feeling anxious.
    Going back to technology, the more it advances, I highly doubt that social media will fade away. If it does anything, I think it will evolve into something bigger and more demanding than it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe social media is a requirement but in the near future I believe it will be. Not only do a lot of businesses use social media to promote their business but they also look at your accounts before hiring you. But by not having a social media account does that affect your ability to gat a job? Not necessarily but in the future it may be because a lot of social media platforms are the main way to contact people. For example, many businesses still use email but I believe in the future something will replace email. But for the kids who are always on social media and can't live without it is a little ridiculous but understandable. If we're all being honest, most people don't do things without technology. Most people don't go out to parks anymore or know how to set up plans without using a phone or just texting someone. Social media is not a necessity but it does have its pros and cons when using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social Media is most certainly not a requirement. The only social media account I have is a Facebook account I haven't been on in like seven years. As the world around us grows more advanced, we can feel the need to be even more connected, even though we can already call anyone at anytime, we somehow want to be even more connected. Anyways, Social Media is not a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't personally see social media as a requirement, but I can understated why some people do. Social media offers a platform where individuals can display themselves in any way they choose. As people connect to more and more friends, they feel pressured to seem active, to give off an appearance that people will admire. This causes them to constantly post on their accounts. Another reason why people might think social media is a necessity is because they feel like they are missing out on information that everyone else knows. This pushes them into creating accounts to always be aware of certain events. It's quite surprising to see the effects social media has on a person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that social media isn't requirement, but as we continue going into the future it may become one. Which is very sad because we will later lose out communication skills.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.