With this quote, I interpreted it as communicating with others. Especially in the technological age we are in, communication is almost always done through a screen and not a face to face conversation. While going online and talking to friends it seems as though most people are fine talking. But when it comes to actual talking and having a genuine face to face conversation people are intimidated.
Now I'm not saying everyone has this problem but I believe it is growing more as the years go on. While we advance in technology do we hinder our ability to just talk to each other? If we continue moving on like this will one day our ability to communicate to each other end all together?
In my opinion I don't believe it will ever get to the point where we never talk to each other and only communicate through technology. But I can see that as we develop a better understanding of technology and a better or much easier way of communicating, people choose to avoid having conversations. Now do we allow this to continue and watch as people have no trouble talking all they want online but when it comes to talking to someone they struggle to say anything. I've seen it as bad as some people can't even tell you how their day was, something as simple as just telling some how you are was a struggle for them. Now some people are just shy or they just don't like talking but not everyone is like this.
Now I pose this question to everyone reading this: Do you feel like you know someone who has the courage to talk about anything on the internet but when it comes to a face to face interaction they can't speak at all, the interaction doesn't even need to be a negative confrontation just a friendly conversation.
-Alexander Foafoa
To a certain extent, I feel like everyone has a persona online. Online, we can choose what and what not to show to the public so I feel like this can sometimes lead people to seem very different in person. It's not necessarily a bad thing but I think face-to-face interaction is the most effective in showing who the real person is. If I were to meet someone that was very open to me online but shy and reserved in person, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's just the normal nervousness that comes with meeting people. I think that I'd know a part of that person but I would have to wait until a solid friendship develops.
ReplyDeleteIn response to your question, yes, I do know people who are more courageous when it comes to interaction on the internet rather than face to face. For most people of our generation it's much easier and we have grown up interacting over Google chats, direct messaging, or texting. There isn't as much pressure because you can't see those persons reaction. They may react a certain way through a text message, but that may not always be what they are truly feeling. For a lot of people in our generation, when it comes to face to face talking, it can be intimidating because emotions can be more easily read and it's something that we are not accustomed to. If we need or want something we just text a friend or call them. Furthermore, I feel that true emotions can be read more easily which may be frightening when the only emotions people are used to seeing is the laughing emoji.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of your comments stating that people have online personas and act a certain way because they can't see the other person's emotions. But I feel that not only do people in our generation fear talking face to face because of seeing the other person's emotions but also they fear how their own emotions will come out. I believe that they feel they must react in the "right" way and not how they actually feel. Talking through a screen influences people not to show emotions because there is no one to see them. By having a blank screen face you while expressing yourself you build up a mindset of not having to show emotion.
ReplyDeleteI know a couple of people who like to talk negatively online but once they are right in front of the person they were talking negatively to, they don't say anything, they even avoid them. I'm not going to say names because that's disrespectful even though they aren't going to read this because they aren't on the blog. I also know a few people who won't talk the same in person as they do online and I believe that it is because of the advancements in technology that have allowed us to talk to people through our devices and lowered the need to see people in person.
ReplyDelete