The other day, I was on my phone while talking to my sister. A few moments after she started talking to me, she yelled at me because I was always on my phone. She asked why I always had to be using my phone on social media, and it made me think, is the cellphone really a negative distraction?
Many times throughout the day, I catch myself looking things up on my phone or using it to communicate with friends or family. Many people have said that the use of the cellphone takes away time. In my opinion, it is actually very helpful for everyday use. Sure it is a distraction while at work or school, but without it, what would we do?
The phone is a resource that everyone uses, whether it's for a calculator, homework, navigation system, dictionary, news, weather, etc. So, do you really think that the phone is a negative distraction? Do you use your phone for everyday purposes?
Esmeralda Orozco
I do, sort of, think our phones are a negative distraction, but at the same time, I don't believe they are. Like Esmeralda, I catch myself on my phone sometimes looking things up and talking with my family in my family group chat; that is because we're never really home at the same time. So in that way my phone is useful and is being used positively. But, I find myself a lot of the time on social media, which is a negative. Although, I feel like I'm not the only one that can relate to the fact that phones can be a negative distraction. There are so many things on our phones that interest us and sometimes we just get carried away with what we’re looking at. I think that it also can just depend on the person and how much they will limit themselves and can trust themselves on their phones.
ReplyDeleteJoy makes a solid point that it depends on the person of how much time they limit theirselves on using their phones for phones to be a distraction. For me, smart phones are major distractions. Yes, they may be helpful and convenient to us but it takes away our abilities to focus on the real world. And by "real world" I mean like our main goals and priorities. I'm pretty sure many of our goals and priorities right now is to finish summer hoemwork and instead of doing my summer homework, I spend time on my phone watching YouTube videos or talking and catching up with friends. To answer Esmeralda's question, however, I unfortunately do use my phone for everyday purposes. I can't live without my phone because I've been so dependent on it for so long now and it just helps me get through the day. I wonder how my life would be if I didn't have my phone right now. Do you ever think about it and how your life would change?
ReplyDeleteI too think it is a negative distraction but can be helpful at times. I remember how every time my parents catch me distracted on my phone, they tell me of how when they were young they had to figure things out for themselves such as directions or anything like what you listed. Although it can be an interruption to life at times, it has made life much easier and better to communicate with others. I agree with Joy on that people should use it for those purposes instead of to just pass time.
ReplyDeleteJust like Nicole, I am also very dependent of my phone. I rely on it so much to help get me through the day like setting alarms to wake up, checking the weather to make outfit choices, and using the internet to help me. I think that phones can certainly be a negative distraction, but it ultimately comes down to the person and their responsibleness. Do they limit themselves to how much they use it and still engage in conversations offline? People need to have their priorities straightened first and focus on the "real world," as Nicole put it.
ReplyDeleteI also agree to Joys statement that it depends on the person and with everyone else. To me, phones are essential and can be helpful, but they are mainly a distraction. Yeah, you can communicate with your friends and family, but I just think that you shouldn't need to talk to them every single hour of the day. I feel like nowadays people are glued to their phone and like everyone said they are dependent on their phones. It's a constant distraction, and there should be a limit to how much you use your phone a day. It is also incredible on how much smart phones have advanced, and the various things we have access to. To answer Esmerelda's question, I do use my phone every day, but I can also live without my phone. Not having my phone for a week or two, will not make a difference to my everyday routine. I can always find a different resource to help me get through my day. I feel like people just over use their phone because its always just there. Many people when they are bored choose to scroll through social media or videos for hours instead of going for a walk or going outside. Also, I want to leave you guys with a question. Ask yourself is it the phone that is the problem, or what the phone is able to do now?
ReplyDeleteThis is what we all want to think. Yes, cellphones are useful for calculating, for finding definitions, and for quick research. However, think to yourself. Do you really use it for those purposes more than browsing social media? Back in 7th grade I remember being in speech and debate and discussing whether or not phones should be allowed in school. I supported the claim that phones should be allowed by backing it up with the uses you've stated. However, now that I think of it, I use my phone in school just to browse Snapchat and text others in group messages. We don't want them to be distracting, but unconsciously we grab it out of our pockets and start browsing.
ReplyDeleteI am definitely very dependent on my cellphone. I rely on it to set my alarm, show me the weather, plan out my schedule, and show me information. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went even a single day without going on it. I too use it to connect with friends and family, but I personally do not think that I overuse it. Although my cellphone is very useful, I feel that I could survive without it. I agree with Joy's statement that it does really depend on the person. I have seen some teenagers who are absolutely addicted to their phones. I have gone out to lunch or met with people, and they are constantly on their phones the entire time. This aggravates me because if people are just going to sit on their phones and not interact, then what's the point of going out? Therefore, I do believe that phones do have somewhat of a negative impact on people. However, I do think that people can still use them in an acceptable way. I feel that as long as people are not overusing the device, they don't really negatively affect us, but they actually are helpful.
ReplyDeleteEveryone says that cellphones are very helpful to our daily lives, especially to contact people from far away. That is the real purpose of a cellphone. Now cellphones are mostly used for video games, social media, and etc. I understand that people use it for easier access of things, but I will have to admit that most people are addicted to their phones. I see myself spending so much time on a phone more than spending time with people in real life.
ReplyDelete