Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Cameras: Good or Bad?

The invention of the photograph was created in 1816 by Nicéphore Niépce. The camera was created to preserve special or important moments in history. Before this invention, people had to draw or paint that moment in order to keep it as a memory for a lifetime.

In my opinion, the invention of cameras was a new and creative way of capturing our moments of happiness. Even though some people may say that taking pictures is a waste of time, since it is taking away from that moment, rather than focusing on what we are seeing, it is actually a fun and exciting way to keep all your best memories in one place to remind you of those happy times whenever you are upset or simply are not feeling good. Furthermore, it also helps us document important times in history, like war. Without the help of the camera, we would not be able to learn about the past of our country and why it is like this today. Do you think the camera was a negative or positive contribution  to our everyday life and why?

Esmeralda Orozco

7 comments:

  1. On a phone it's usually bad, since you're not capturing a happy moment but instead you're capturing a frame of yourself that you want other people to view you in. Which is a distraction and it's not necessarily a great thing to do. Let's say if you go on a family trip to the mountains an you stare out at this amazing vie and then afterwards you snap a photo, then that's what a camera is used for. To capture an amazing moment, it doesn't even have to be that grand it could just be a family gathering and you took a picture at your family laughing at a joke. It's an emotional moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Without photography, how would we have documented the landing on the moon without it? I don't know anyone who says that taking photos is just a waste of time, mainly because it isn't. You can take photos to document famous events, create art, or just to keep for memories. When you look at a photo, you look back at the times you've had during the time the photo was taken place. I disagree with Mason above, as it may seem like you take it just for likes at first. However, later on, you can look back at it and see how your life was back then. The point is, without a doubt, cameras are one of man's greatest contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the photograph was one of the greatest inventions of all time. Though it is true that it takes you away from important moments, it helps you also remember them. I for one have such a horrible memory that I can never seem to remember what I've done last week, much less moments from my childhood. But, looking back at photos my parents have taken of me as a kid helps trigger those beautiful memories. While it did replace drawing and painting, they also have the same effect as the photograph, just that its quicker. Though there are some times when we take it a little too far with taking pictures of trips and vacations, we still like to look back and be like "Oh yeah, remember that?" or "That was so much fun!" So, yes photography is the best invention to be created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the points you and Genesis have made. The invention of cameras has been so helpful and satisfying as it allows us to capture all moments in our lives. Without documenting these memories, we might not be able to look back and remember what occurred. Like you mentioned, some people may say that it takes away from living in the moment, but for the most part, I also disagree with that statement. When I go on a trip and take pictures or to a concert and record part of it, I only capture certain parts quickly, while still being able to enjoy the moment afterwards. I don't think people are taking pictures or recording the entire time they do something as it seems to be exaggerated. Overall, the creation of the photograph was definitely a positive contribution to our everyday life as photography lets people express who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Jennifer, and what a couple of you others were saving. Everything that you said is how I feel about cameras. When I am out at the beach, or at a concert I love being able to capture videos and pictures of what is happening. I love that I am able, once I come home, to relive the experience. Although some might say that recording something while its happening may take away from the experience/feeling, the point of recording in the first place is to be able to remember and relive it. You're not really missing anything because for those quick seconds you weren't paying direct attention, you were recording what was going on and will be able to watch what happened later on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the camera is definitely a positive contribution to our life. It is true that cameras only capture highlights of each day, and many may even argue that cameras take away from “living in the moment;” however, I too agree with Jennifer. I do not think people take pictures or record the entire time they are doing something. There is so much more to a camera than just taking images of sceneries or countries one visits to boast on social media. There are health benefits that come along with the use of a camera. For instance, a photograph may help a person diagnosed with Alzheimer's reflect back on memories. Certain types of cameras also serve as an aid in diagnosing dental problems such as cavities. Cavities can be found much earlier using the intraoral camera. We must understand that there are different types of cameras, and not all of them are used for capturing memories. Although there may be negative influences of cameras, I am sure that the positive influences outweigh the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that the camera is both a positive and negative invention. The reason why the camera is a beneficial device is because it allows people to remember small moments of life and capture historical moments. It also is beneficial because pictures and videos can be used as evidence in court. The camera is also a harmful device because it enables crimes such as child pornography. It also is an easy way to invade people's privacy. The camera enables the media to further brainwash the population through persuasive images and television broadcasting in the media.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.