Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Cursive, Smart phones, and Our Future Generation


        In the novel The Shallows, Carr points out how after 17 years of creating the computer we have become unconsciously reliant on the technology around us. Carr states,"For some people, the idea of reading a book has come to seem old-fashioned, maybe even a little silly- like sewing your own clothes or butchering your own meat" (8). Continuing off from Carr, we now use the internet as forms of research which isn't entirely horrible, except for the fact that we have created bad habits of skimming through texts instead of taking the time to contemplate and fully read. Handwriting has also become difficult for students our age because we feel the need to type everything. Reason being, it's faster and doesn't take much time to edit; all we have to do is click the delete button and we can continue on. This reminds me when I was in elementary school where we learned how to write in cursive. However, now the subject of learning cursive has been taken out because "there isn't enough time " or "it's unnecessary". I see cursive as another way for us to practice our writing skills as a young child and concentrate on different forms of writing. As being part of the generation where we learned this skill, what opinions do you have on this subject?    
  In chapter one Carr states, "There was something calm about retrieving all those books, their willingness to wait years, decades even, for the right reader to come along" (12). Personally, reading has always been a favorite pastime for me ever since I was young, maybe it's because I came from a very strict family who pushed us at a very young age academically. Currently as students and individuals, we may not feel compelled to read books or research, because we have the option of social media to entertain ourselves with. We like the feeling of being connected with others around us, consequently resulting in us feeling an urge to check out social media's when we are doing work.
      For a while now I've seen children as young as maybe the second grade who own a smartphone. I understand that there are situations where the child may actually need it to keep in contact with their parents. Or in case of an emergency when they're walking home from school or are home alone. However, at such a young age where phones and television is used to compel children to be quiet, it’s also easy for them to abuse it. In my opinion, in an age where we are continuously having more advancements technologically. I worry for children now that are being born into a society where technology is now the main tool used in everyday life/ education. There are of course many positive aspects, but young children should be living in the moment and enjoy playing outside. They shouldn't be addicted to posting pictures of themselves or things for other people to see. Also, for parents to distract toddlers with phones to keep them quiet...are they depriving them of learning how to be sociable? I’ve asked this question before if being born into a society surround by technology will benefit us. Although education wise, should there be some type of medium between modern technology and past forms of teaching, for the future children being born into our progressive society?

Krystal Jamjampour

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic is very important to me due to the fact that we share the same beliefs. I believe that children are deprived of their social and interaction skills when parents shove a tablet or phone in front of a child’s face in a public place. Personally, it lacks the amount of effort in which the parent wants to put and allows the child to disconnect from the relationship.
    Within everyone’s time, we have all come across an instance where the use of technology has affected a child around us. However, during my early childhood, my parents used other methods in pacifying my cries and soothing me with the power of their voice. Of course I also watched TV and the classic Disney movies, but they were never the use to hush me.During family meals, technology was not used and we engaged in conversation and interacted freely, which allowed us to build stronger bonds. It was an all around family event in which everyone in my family would laugh,cry, and engage in certain topics. Here’s a question: When was the last time YOU saw a person, preferably the caretaker of a child, put on a movie and watch it with them willingingly? The uses of technology have further transformed a new use of the standard.
    I conclude my comment by the following point of topic by discussing my encounters first-hand with this regarding my baby cousins. My cousin is 10 years old and she is about to be a 4th grader at an elementary school. Recently, we were having a conversation about my aunt’s phone when she demanded that she were to also have a phone. “All of my friends have one!” she exclaimed as my aunt actually thought about the transaction. Suddenly, I began to get deja vu to the entirely same conversation that my parents and I had when I was also her age. Although the difference was that my parents had a stern no and the aunt had a definite maybe thought. While this is just one instance of my own personal life, many have come across the same encounters with the new generation, and the effects to it are frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of you when it comes to kids and technology. Whenever I see my cousins, they usually have their noses buried in a phone or tablet. The oldest one is only seven; yes, seven years old and she has an iPhone 6. Most of my friends don’t even have a phone as nice as that. One of my other cousins constantly plays on his tablet and would rather play his apps than play with everyone else. Obviously my cousins are not the only ones as I see many kids bent over their phones.

    The only way this problem can be fixed is if parents make their children put down their phones and focus on other activities. Kids need to build their social and mental skills. The best place to begin to learn these skills are at home. Honestly I don't even know if they read. I loved reading when I was younger, and I still do. I hope they snap out of it. If they need help I will be there.
    -Mycah Reece

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.