The novel Amusing Ourselves To Death by Neil Postman articulates the impact that the internet plays in the present and future years of our society. In this day in age, most jobs require the use of technology by communicating to many parts of the world. However, Postman explains that some usage of the media has also now effected certain educational aspects. Personally, I believe that his stance in which the media is slowly evolving society is true, which could be linked to a societal thought shift. The one point that Postman makes that really inspires me to express my stance is the example of news channels in which a lot of production and revenue goes into. Furthermore, he explains the industry in which these “businesses” solely hire based off of the attractive factor and their use to basically act. In many instances, I have found myself hearing a sad, depressing story followed by the words “And we’ll be back after these short messages!” My question is: Do you think the news business’ ideals for introducing commercials after a devastating story is okay? Disregard the fact of the industry making money, but there are other ways for them to gain revenue at a fast rate. Moreover, Postman states “The problem is not that television presents us with entertaining subject matter but that all subject matter is presented as entertaining”(89) which can explain the use of television being represented in a way of entertainment. Don’t get me wrong, I am also accustomed to this media ever since I was little.The media has certainly affected my self-esteem, goals and values. At this point, as a teenager, it would be difficult for me to decipher which has had more effect on my general development, my family’s teaching or the media. I suggest that either could arguably have a greater effect on me because of the inundation of media. So, by reading this book, my eyes have been opened as to how much I have really been affected by the media, whose morals are certainly questionable and whose main objected is to sell a product by keeping the viewer engaged at any cost. Simply scary. This novel further opened my eyes to more subtle meanings that the media prohibits, which will eventually shape my future. I leave you with a thought in which I would like to know your opinion. Has the dominance of media presented within our generation shaped your life in a more positive or negative manner?
Veronika Ferrell
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.