Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Food for thought

I found it a lot easier to read The Shallows than Amusing Ourselves to Death. I really didn't understand why and i thought that maybe it was because of different writing styles, or maybe I just liked one better than the other. However, these theories were thrown out of the window when I thought about the content of both of the books. Each book talks about how with the creation of new technologies our attention span becomes shorter, the way we focus on things different, and the amount of information we can take in at once begins to vary. The content of the book made me think that maybe the fact that our 3rd text is more interactive than AMusing outselves to death makes it an easier read.
Think about it, both of the books touch on the fact that our attention spans are shortened due to the amount of information the world is throwing at us. It's simply not logical to spend so much time on doing just one thing when you can be multitasking. Time is money. So maybe because we have to write down questions, because we have to find unfamiliar words, and because we are forced to not only focus on the text but various tasks it's easier to read.

Monica Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.