Sunday, August 6, 2017

Should Kids with Lice Stay in School?

In Barbara L. Frankowski’s article, she claims that kids with lice should be able to stay in school. Frankowski believes that kids who have lice are still considered healthy, so she states in her article that “healthy children should be in school, learning with their friends.” By that, she means no child has ever been sent to an emergency room because of lice or has died from an infestation, so it is more beneficial if the child stays at school to learn with his or her friends. While Frankowski does make a good point, I believe the kids in school should not be exposed to lice.

The students who already do have lice should be kept at home, so their classmates are not exposed to lice. Although Frankowski’s claim about children staying in school despite having lice seems to sound like a good idea, students who have lice may be distracted by it; in fact, they are not solely focused on the subject that is being taught by their teacher when their head is infested but are busy scratching their heads instead. Lice may not cause an individual to die, but they can certainly be carriers of multiple diseases. For example, lice can transmit deadly diseases such as Lyme disease and yellow fever from person to person (these examples may be extreme, but there have been cases where people have contracted these diseases). For these reasons, I believe kids that contract lice should stay at home.


Alice Oum

5 comments:

  1. No kids with lice should most definitely not go to school. Otherwise you get an outbreak that's really hard to manage. It doesn't kill but it sure does it's job to hella inconvenience you, just imagine constantly scratching at the hundreds of little insects living on your head all day. It's just terrible, and it could potentially distract you from learning, in fact it will distract you from learning. You can see the lice move and I can guarantee that children would be very much distracted by it, I would be distracted by it. Who wouldn't be distracted by a person with a sea of lice living on their head squirming around, and you can visually see them writhe and wiggle. Not to mention they can lead to disease and I bet in severe cases I guess a person could have a chronic scratch wound on their head, that may never heal an that could warrant infection. For the love of all things holy, please stay at home with lice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely kids with lice should not go to school. It wouldn't be wise to make the child with the infestation go to school because it could make them embarrassed to be scratching constantly. Also the child would be endangering all of the other students to catch them as well. If I had lice I wouldn't fight to go back to school, In fact I would most definitely stay home because I would not want everyone to know of it in the first place. It's best for a child to stay home a day or two then to possible spread it because they might miss a day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankowski's claim is one that I have never heard of and its a very interesting point of view. I never thought that anybody would ever think that it would be beneficial to keep student's with lice in school. Though she makes an intriguing point, I completely disagree with her. I agree with Alice in that lice is a distraction and does not allow the student to focus on learning because they are too focused on the bugs crawling around their head. Furthermore, fellow students may bully the student with lice by calling them gross or disgusting. Also, most students will want to avoid that student at all costs so they don't get head lice. Student's will naturally exclude the student with head lice. All in all, head lice should be treated, so they can be admitted back to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Frankowski’s claim is also one that I have never heard of. I was appalled when I read that a professor of pediatrics at Vermont Children’s Hospital who has been a primary care pediatrician for almost 30 years believes that kids who contract lice should stay in school. Just like how I mentioned in my post, I have read articles about lice being a carrier of multiple diseases; in fact, if kids that contracted lice stayed in school, there would be a high potential of the disease being spread across the classroom. I agree with everyone that has commented here, and I still strongly suggest that kids with lice care for themselves at home before coming to school.

      Delete
  4. Kids with lice should definitely stay at home. If left untreated, lice can turn into an epidemic and the whole school can soon have it. It might not be harmful, but it’s a distraction and can bring a child’s self esteem down. Bullying is much worse nowadays for being different. If someone has lice, that can make them susceptible to bullying. Imagine a child going to school with lice in their hair. That child would be itching the whole time, detach themselves from their friends and any activities. Simply because they're uncomfortable with lice in their hair. How can anyone focus on their studies with lice? All you want to do is relieve the itch and get the bugs out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.