Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Technology Dependence


Everyone gets on teenagers for being addicted to social media and not being able to be without it, but what about electricity itself. For a little more than a day the power in my house has been out forcing me to cook on the stove, stop using my phone, and read by candle light. I have become dependent on electricity, and the idea presented by Carr that once a technology is invented it takes away keen abilities that were necessary prior to the invention was proven true. Even though I was eventually able to finish The Shallows it took me about four hours to complete the two chapters I had remaining. It amazed me that it took me this long to finish even though I did not have the distractions of a phone or alternate activities to strip away my attention. My inability to stay focused on the reading was due to the strain the candle light put on my eyes which caused me to wonder how people read before the invention of the light bulb. How did people live, once it got dark was the day just over and it was time to go to bed? I realized we control the world more than it controls us. We get to decide when the lights are on, and we get to decide when we are productive. Thankfully because of the invention of electricity we have devices like fridges to preserve food, light to allow us to be productive after sundown, and many other devices that keep us entertained. Even though I was able to maintain productivity in the midst of a power outage, I don't think I would ever be able to give up electricity for an extended period of time. To give up social media would be easy, but to give up electricity would be hard.

Baron Barajas

1 comment:

  1. I agree that electricity has become and essential thing throughout our daily lives. It has become a source people use daily but sometimes to often which concerns me. This concerns me because using to much of it can cause power outages and loss of energy. I believe to much unnecessary use such as using your phone on a daily basis can reflect on the cause of power outages. Teens spend up to 9 hours on social media, watching tv, or simply listening to the radio these all play a role in contrast to the amount of electricity is used.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.