In Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, the society is much different from ours. People are not allowed to think for themselves, babies are made to fit specific roles in the world, and pills are needed to feel happiness. There are characters in the book that go with the flow and some that disagree with how things are run. Lenina Crowne is a character that goes along with all the values of a conventional World State citizen. On the other hand, John is a character who does not go along with the rules, being raised as a "savage", he sees the world differently. He is able to see the bad in it. When reading the book, one can see positive and negative aspects of this society Huxley has created. I think that the fact that people come into the world with jobs they are to do, making everything run smoothly and efficiently, is a beneficial part of the world. However, the fact that people are banished for not complying is something I do not agree with, as well as the citizens not being able to think for themselves.
What do you think? Is this world one you would be able to live comfortably in, or would you be like John and want to fix it?
- Timothy Cherpes
I think you meant to say Lenina Crowne, but it is hard to make a decision saying whether or not I would want to live in this type of world without actually experiencing it. We say, "I would hate not being able to think for myself" but if you couldn't think for yourself you wouldn't be thinking these things. So from an outside perspective, I would rather live in this world and be able to think for myself, and choose my lifestyle, but I still believe it is hard to say for sure I wouldn't like the world they live in, without actually experiencing it first hand.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThanks for catching that, I fixed it. I also agree that it is very hard to judge their world since we can not truly know what it is like. You also make a great point that if we lived in that world, we would not be sad or angry because we could not think for ourselves, since we would not be able to think that.
ReplyDelete