As I was writing about Helmholtz Watson in my essay for Brave New World, I decided to look up the Falkland Islands, since that was where Bernard Marx and Helmholtz were sent off to towards the end of the novel. The Falkland Islands are in the South Atlantic Ocean right at the end of South America. What I wondered was why did the Controller decide to send Bernard there? The islands were made for the people who, "have got too self-consciously individual to fit into community-life"(227). The place is supposedly nice, and is said to be a reward. I also wondered how many people lived there. It shows that Bernard was not the only character to oppose society and that maybe others were sent to different places in the world.
Huxley uses strange societies to be placed in a real life settings, such as England and New Mexico, which portrays the idea of our world becoming completely different. What do you think happened to the rest of the world? Do you think that the Falkland Islands may have a twisted society as well?
Jaden Cleto
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.