Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Getting Away From Social Media

Recently I went on a vacation where I did not have access to my phone or any form of social media. I was away from everything for three days, and I have to say it was extremely relaxing. I never really noticed how much time I spend everyday on my phone until I no longer had it. By not being able to use my phone I was forced to talk and do things with my family, and I feel like it brought us closer together. For instance, if I had my phone I would never usually go out and go on a hike with my mother but once it was taken away I was able to create a stronger bond with my mom, and experience nature in a way that I am not used to. It was also really nice not to have to worry about texting people and just to be able to enjoy my surroundings. I would definitely do it again sometime when I am stressed and need to get away from everything. Would you ever want to get away from social media? How do you think it would affect you?
-Kaitlyn Schaper

3 comments:

  1. I actually have been away from my phone for quite a bit during a vacation and I too felt quite relaxed. If I'm being completely honest, there were some times where I missed talking to my friends, but it did bring me closer together with my family. It forced me to interact more with them, and I learned many things about them that I would have never known if not for the experience. As time has passed, I have grown even closer to having my phone right by my side, constantly checking up on it, but if I had the opportunity to do it again, I might be a bit hesitant. However, in the end, I would definitely give it up for another great experience of feeling that connection with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going away from social media is so relaxing and a great way to feel free! Especially during school. Its an easy way to focus more on your priorities and being able to get a better understanding of your own self. Bonds with your friends get stronger, your mentality is better and the stress is always less. The affect of not having social media is so positive and so free its something many people should try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, taking a break away from using your phone on a daily basis is always going to be a feeling of relaxation and refreshment in a way. It lets you notice the little things that you normally wouldn't notice. This whole summer I have been working at an internship that has to deal with being outdoors, and half of the members that are working with me haven't been camping. We had to go on a camping trip to Red Rock and them realizing that they would not be able to use their phone for a week made them panic. I feel like people just need to stop being so reliant on their phone and start going outdoors more. It's funny how different my parents say life was just a few years back. Our generation today is very technology reliant, so I believe that everyone should take a break from their phone and technology from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.