Sunday, August 6, 2017

More Time on Internet Creates Less Time Using Our Brains


As I was reading chapter four in What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains - The Shallows, I came across this short poem written by Wallace Stevens on page 73. A section that pulled me into this book was, "The summer night is like a perfection of thought, the house was quiet because it had to be. the quiet was part of the meaning, part of the mind." After reading that I stopped to look at the time and hear nothing but silence that filled the room. That's when I realized that statement is exactly what is was doing.

I had become absorbed In my reading which gave more meaning to the pages of the book as David Levy described it. This is when I really began to relate and understand this book for its purpose. From the start of reading, I wondered why someone would write about this in the first place. So far in my reading, Nicholas Carr gives personal life examples of how the internet has corrupted his own brain.  He asserts that the more advanced technology becomes the more it takes away intelligence from our brains. By consuming most of our time on the internet, we are not spending enough time on exercising our brain therefore will become forgetful. Not only forgetful, but won't be able to expand our minds to reach its full capacity of knowledge. When our amount of knowledge shrinks, we won't have the ability to remember everything that we absorb as technology such as the internet, remembers for us.

Do you agree with Carr ? Have you interpreted something different from this novel? is so, what ?


-B'elanna Herrera

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.